Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 31 July 2019

July roundup




I spent £49.60 on yarn, this will not arrive until later in the year, it's a yarn advent calander, I am making a scrap blanket with crochet granny squares, and I thought it would be nice to have a mixture of colours, not just the same shades I use for my socks. Garden was much lower, just a few plants to fill gaps and yesterday I got 4 packs of half price seed for next year.

I spent £57.99 on clothes this month, I needed a couple of bra's I always purchase from M&S, not the cheapest, but I love their quality and sizing. Plus a pair of shorts in the sale, I did need a good pair, mine are all looking past their best, and another pair of soft shorts for in the garden. . I have spent £155.89, my budget is £300 for the year.

Plastic free July was a disaster, it is almost impossible, everything you do, buy, see has plastic, I got 2 lamps for the garden, they were not wrapped, but the label was attached by the thin strand of plastic, we buy products to replace plastic, but often they come in a plastic bag. Plus of course often the items arrive at the shop protected by plastic, which is removed before going on sale, so at this point I do feel it is hard to go plastic free, BUT as I have read it is better 1 million people recycle and avoid plactic imperfectly, it's better than just a few living totally plastic free.

I hope to blog again this week, I have again had a tummy bug, much worse than before I spent almost 4 days in bed, and then our friends from Spain visited. We are now back with just hubby and I at home, it will take a few days to sort and pack things back into our spare room. I have done no crafting for almost 2 weeks, but it's OK.

8 comments:

  1. I always go to M&S for my bras, I always buy the same ones each time too, they're so comfortable so why change. We're getting a zero waste shop here where I live so that will definitely help with going plastic free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you've been unwell Marlene, hope you're on the mend now xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a yarn advent calendar! Can't wait to see it later in the year :)
    We're lucky that we have 3 zero waste shops in and around Exeter, which helps cutting out the plastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I failed on the no plastics challenge as well but want to carry on and see what changes I can make.

    Sorry to hear you've been poorly and hope you're well and truly on the mend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to read you've not been too well - feel better soon.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you've not been well. I too succumbed to some spending at M&S in their sale and underwear department this month, before we went on holiday. I'm yet to wear some of the items I bought.

    I haven't really been participating in Plastic Free July, but when shopping this week I did try to buy as little in plastic as possible. As you say though, it's virtually impossible, especially in supermarkets. Even when I don't use a plastic bag for fruit and veg, they always have small plastic stickers on and I usually get asked at the till if I want a bag! I guess small plastic stickers are better than a much larger plastic bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take the rest you need, and hope you're on the mend soon. You're quite the crafter, so I know for you, 2 weeks not doing it, probably feels like forever.

    We have a bulk buy shop near us, where you take your own containers to fill up. I'm glad for it, but I'm sure there's a lot of plastic packaging we don't see, which gets the items to the shop. The upside being LESS packaging, than if all the items had been packaged individually with new plastic. An imperfect, but more efficient reduction of plastic manufacturing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor you having a bug again. I hope you were able to enjoy some fun times with your friends visiting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails