Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 22 August 2024

More reading

I have loved this book, unlike many garden books this is useful, I have read it cover to cover, and there are loads of tips, I won't use all the information, she doesn't expect you too, just clear good information. Book 53 read this year 
This is another book I almost gave up on, it was such a slow start, I picked it up not knowing the author at all, a woman is released from jail, her sentence for murder overturned, and she is back to the street where it all happened, in the end it was a good story. Book 54 read this year.
I have read another book by this author, so I was hoping for a good plot, set in UK,  most unlikely and improbable plot, but I could not put it down, I was hooked from the beginning, a clever story which kept growing right to the final pages. I totally recommend this book, book 55 read this year.
I got this book from a charity shop, I ran out of library books and the library was shut, I've not read this author before, the back cover synopsis was about a blogger asking for help about a missing friend. It was an interesting tale, which twist and turned, I found the lady telling the story to be very gullible, a few times I thought 'how can you believe that' it highlighted the difference between strong and weak needy people. Book 56 read this year.
 
I have for years recorded books I have read, I use a small address book, recording authors alphabetically, my book is messy, so I thought it would be great to get a new one, I have loads to transfer. It's a very handy size for popping in my handbag.

I love books, and for fun I got the book stamp, just for a few books, it's very handy if I loan a book, reminds the person who owns it. I got thinking of book plates, our girls used to make their own, their junior school had a really good way of adding books each year to the school library, they would publish a list of books and the prices, as parents of leavers we could chose and pay for a book, our child decorated the book plate and left the school a gift with their name.


I have done nothing to my 2023 book, I am further behind than I wanted to be, I'm outside as much as I can be, and giving support to daughter and her three little ones, 2022 is finished, I had hoped both would be done by November, when the best printing discounts are given.

I've been working in my back section behind the garage, I have moved my strawberry tower, it's tucked back until next spring, making the path by my greenhouse house door feel wider. I potted up my smaller dogwood to use in our garden, filling a bare corner.  I have also dug up loads of cana lilies, I had them in 3 spots around the garden, none of them looked good, so I will let them die back and pass on the bulbs.

I  full of bugs again, cold sore throat, with a horrible dry spot, I'm sleeping better, but just can rest enough, I don't think the little ones passed on these bugs, I'm really run down, I hope the bugs pass quickly, I'm not good at resting and relaxing, I'm not reading much, I'm fed up with myself. Ending on a higher note, it's not covid. 

7 comments:

  1. The book stamps look very nice - what a good idea.
    I'm sorry you're feeling rough again - reaction to everything going on in your life. Vitamin C helps healing and some swear by chamomile tea for relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're not well. I like the school bookplate idea. The gardening book sounds good. I might look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you're not feeling too good, hope you will start to pick up soon.
    I've seen those book stamps, they are a fun idea, although I don't loan my books anymore, people don't always return them, i give away what i know i won't read again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frances Tophill is very knowledgeable on Gardeners World isn't she. I really like Carol Klein too, she's so enthusiastic. I hope you feel better soon Marlene, it's been a worrying and stressful time for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book on rewilding your garden sounds fascinating. Over the years I've thought of making book plates for some of my favourite books but have never done so. I love the old books that have beautiful decorative plates inside them.
    Hope you get over your bugs soon. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been a very long time since I have seen a book plate. Some were so ornate. I see some great reading material in that list.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving the Eve Dallas... In Death series by Nora Robb. Good gritty stuff.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails