Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 24 February 2024

Colour outside

 Our new hellebore is very pretty, I love the tinge of purple on the edge of each petal, I have planted this in our red rose bed (old herb bed), it's under the Magnolia tree and can be seen from the house. I now need to watch this bed and see what regrows, for once I have no plans, it's a case of wait and see.

Small pots are doing well, I don't have so many as I have been planting them into the ground, a heather transplanted from hubbies front garden to a pot, has returned and is flowering, the second plant in the pot is not so big. Snowdrops in the brown pot, always looking good, last year I dug out half, but again the pot is full. My new this year planter, which hubby chose the plants are looking good, I did add hyacinths, the contents will be added to a bed once finished. 
Bigger pots are doing well, 3 pots have settled, the bottom right is full of tulips and daffs, the pot is for my tomato plant, but for now, the promise of flowers to come, again the bulbs will be planted in the ground once they go over. 
The bed at the back of the garden, with our rhubarb plant in had some space at the front, I have planted a gooseberry bush, which I don't think it will survive. To keep this front section full, I have bulbs, primroses, and soon some forget-me-not seeds. I do need to protect the ground from our cats, hopefully this area will fill out and I can remove these old greenhouse shelves. 
My side bed is full of bulbs, I am so pleased there are very few wild garlic leaves, I did manage to get rid of most of them, I also have here english bluebells, once the daffs have bloomed, I will dig and separate some for the red rose bed. I will need to add summer colour to this bed.
I do love to see these buds on the Magnolia tree, maybe a bit early, but it's the promise of better times, warm sunshine, and spring. I was awake early and heard the birds first dawn chorus, for me of the year. This tree always blooms first before the leaves, so it will soon be a wash in pink.  

I have placed my strawberry tower outside the greenhouse, it will be in full sun until mid afternoon, I'm hoping that might be enough, the heat from the glass should also help the plants on their way. I have played around with the pots in this area three times, I am feeling this might be the right layout, but as hubby says I am known for changing the location of pots. Whilst having more pots here, it does feel clearer, and much easier to get to the water-but, composter and my store of plastic pots. I also have soil in my raised bed, covered ready for sowing salad seeds next month. 

We dug out more of the old twisted willow tree stump, there is enough room to now dig a wildlife pond, I have some groundcover plants to fill the edges with pretty pebbles. I moved a hellebore from this section, it's now in the red rose bed. I dug out a winter jasmine planted in the wrong spot, it was not doing well, for now it's in a deep pot, I have yet to decide where to place it. I am moving closer to the new growing season, I have very few jobs left to do.

With all this rain, all I can do is watch everything grow, like most gardeners, the first thing I do each wet day is look out through the patio doors, on dry days I walk around our garden. I have very few plans spinning around my head, just the wildlife pond and seeds for planting. 

21 comments:

  1. It's great to see all the colour after months of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our winters here along the south coast is always wet, hardly ever get any snow and if we do only a light dusting, which quickly disappears.

      Delete
  2. It all looks wonderful. I am looking forward to those early morning walks to check on growing things, with the accompaniment of bird song. This morning the temp. has plummeted to -19C, with the full moon shining in a clear sky...so it will be a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winters are much milder, mainly wet rather than snow

      Delete
  3. The new hellebore is very pretty indeed. I love the sensation of the garden waking up from a long, cold winter sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like seeing your garden posts, you have a beautiful garden with so much colour and interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's fun putting everything together, as you are finding with your new garden.

      Delete
  5. I love hellebores, mine are out at the moment too. Also love your magnolia, they are stunning when in full bloom aren't they x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our magnolia at this time of year becomes stunning, I do love the tree all year round.

      Delete
  6. We have had a trip out to a garden centre this morning. Oh my the beauty on offer was just too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying I don't need any more plants, and every time I come home with more.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful display of colour in your garden. Spring is coming even if it is rather wet. We had frost again this morning so I’ll need to check for damage. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything in your garden is looking good, and I do like your new hellebore.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never have much luck with hellebores - not sure what I do wrong. We have a garden full of the three cornered leek at the cottage that smells of garlic and is a prolific spreader. We put sheets of wire netting down on any bare patches in our borders to stop the neighbourhood cats using them as a toilet - many of the gardens have flags and tarmac or gravel leaving very few places for the cats to go now so they seem to head over to ours. All your pots look really lovely, I never got to refresh ours last Autumn so am hoping something will emerge in the borders this year from the bulbs I planted the previous year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of our gardens, even if life stops us being outside, most things come back each year, we are lucky there are a couple of wild gardens close by, so only our cats go in our garden.

      Delete
  10. So nice to see colour in a garden. We are under a weather advisory which will bring us temperatures that feel like -30 to -35C along with freezing rain and yet more snow. Spring has not arrived as of yet here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Magnolia tree looks promising. I always think the flowers are so beautiful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like your pots especially the Snowdrop bowl ,it's gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails