Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 1 June 2022

Last spot

It's rose season, I'm not a huge fan of roses, I grow yellow ones in our back garden to remind me of mum, she loved yellow roses, the top pink rose is a climber, given to us as a gift, we had nowhere to put it, I don't like to see plants growing up fences, so we tucked it behind our garage water but, it's taken a few years, but now it fills an untidy corner. The creamy white rose at the bottom is in hubbies front garden, it grows up the house, he loves roses. The final new this year rose in bottom corner, is planted and growing well, but as yet no flowers. 
The raspberries grow well here, I do like this spot, it is green and lush most of the year, the bottom of the plants always look untidy, so when I could not grow strawberries without bug infestation in the ground, I got these two long pots. The strawberries should have grown over the side and looked good, but sadly they still did not grow well, so I thought I could use flowers here, french marigolds, hubby's favourite, still this area often does not look good, bugs live here and feed well, strangely they leave the raspberries alone. 
So sat on our bench, (yes the bench has loads to answer for) we hatched a plan, not too much hard work, and using up loads of slate from the old herb bed. Moving the pots was easy, I planted the better looking flowers in my new bed, hubby popped a long plank to separate the front from the fruit bed, and I filled it with slate. To soften the look I have popped in a couple of alyssums and lobelia, these do fill out well and should not tumble onto the lawn. 

Everything is growing well, harvest time is getting closer, I am already using cut and come lettuce, the 1st strawberry has been ate, by me, there are loads more coming. Both tomatoes and cucumber are both doing well, I have a second cucumber plant growing, I'm hoping to extend the harvest season by having a later plant. The blueberry bushes are full of berries forming, the raspberry and blackberry are both full of new growth, and promise of fruit to come. 
 

It's been a lovely day, after having a heavy storm in the past two days, it's been lovely to be outside in the garden, everywhere is looking so tidy and full of colour, the ground is watered well, I only needed to wet the greenhouse down, and water the fruit and salad veg in pots. I hope now we can relax and enjoy the garden, I don't have any spots we are not happy with, famous last words. One of the long pots has been tucked to one side, Grace my old cat likes to use it as a toilet, the other has been cleared and I will give it away. 

Sewing Bee is on later, we will switch TV on for the first time in a couple of days, relaxing evening, we are out tomorrow at a family fun-day. 



4 comments:

  1. Everything looks to be growing lovely in your garden :-) We had loads of raspberry bushes in the garden at our previous house, we have recently bought one for here but it's in a pot at the moment. Hope you have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the bench is going to be your planning place from now on. You made that area so much neater.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did with the slate bed. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking lovely and Will is going to enjoy all the fruit.

    I enjoyed the Sewing Bee last night. Strangely, this series I don't have a favourite sewer.

    P.S. I'm definitely a rose lover and like to see climbers on the fencing, but you probably guessed that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails