Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 25 January 2022

Quiet weekend

1st sock is finished, I love making these colourway, having a plain top, heels and toes to pick out one shade in the main sock. I have some ends to sew in, I finished it last night I hope to start the 2nd this afternoon, I love simple knitting, I only check the pattern at the point where you shape the heel.
 I really enjoyed this book, which is strange as the story is of parts of their journey from Syria to UK, it is a gentle story of a couple's loss of their lives, and how little is thought of migrants fleeing from devastation and war. This is book 8 read this year. 
I have noticed loads of things to tidy outside in the garden, so I'm planning some time outside this week, I won't be cutting back too much, as its still to early. Loads of plants and the Magnolia tree are full of buds, far too early. Bulb shoots are popping up around the garden and in pots. New growth outside always fills my heart with joy, I always love this view of the garden, no matter what season it is. 
This ground bird feeder was a Christmas gift from me to hubby, he loves feeding and watching the birds in the garden, our local blackbirds love the food in here, which is mixed seeds, we pop sunflower hearts in the hanging feeders. I often see a small mouse feed from here, I am sure they are coming from under my shed, I have complained about rats in the bottom of the garden, but I don't mind mice. The squirrels eat from here as well, they throw the seeds everywhere, all the huge wood pigeons and collared doves can't take any food. This back area is really tidy, the black bin is full of leaves in hope to make mulch. 

Another weekend with just hubby and myself, youngest daughter was unwell, so we did not get to see her family, just a tummy upset, both George and Molly have colds. I have a sore throat and my tummy has been a bit off, nothing too bad. I took another Covid test this morning, again negative. 

My steps averaged just under 6,000 last week, I am doing more steps each week, I aim to get to between 7 and 10k daily, our portion sizes have shrunk back to where they should be, we still have treats but not so many, I hope to be back to Chocolate only 1 day at the weekends. 

Today is sign class, it is more social then sign, we have been shown most of the signs we would use, and are now repeating things we have already done, half the group struggle to remember signs, and the rest of us like the repetition as it helps us improve on our skills. 

8 comments:

  1. I read The Beekeeper of Aleppo back in 2020 and it was one of my favourite books of the year, I just loved the story. I've also read A Watermelon, A Fish and A Bible by the same author, another book I enjoyed but not quite so good in my opinion. It's still very mild here, you should have the chance to get out in the garden this week if it's the same where you are. It's nice to see some signs of life out there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the socks. I am tempted to buy a squirrel proof feeder as the squirrels take the peanuts as soon as they go out and then bury them in our pots. They drive the dog mad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can get into this one, which we don't mind.

      Delete
  3. I have heard very good reviews of that book. I may have to look for it the next time I go to the library.

    Love the ground bird feeder.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to the book on audible earlier this month, I found it ok, It would have been nice to have had more of a build up to what happend, instead of the book jumping straight in, I felt like I never got to know the characters. It's the only one i've read by this author, not sure if I would read any more. I have been looking at those ground bird feeders my blackbird comes to visit on and off all day and the pigions keep stealing his food! Could a blackbird get into the food, or are the bars too close together? Well done with the walking and smaller portions, I try and aim for 6000 steps but it's hard for me to get motivated at the moment,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have blackbirds feeding all through the day, they took a while to use it, hubby scattered seeds on the ground for a couple of days, now he has to fill it most days.

      Delete
  5. You are doing well with your reading.
    It's nice to sit down and relax with a good book.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The feeder looks great but I bet it does make a mess. We have a couple of squirrels here who would pull it all over the garden so dare not buy one. I do love watching the birds myself too. We have a lovely little Robin and a tiny wren at the moment who come to feed regularly. Hoping for more birds as the garden gets established.
    Well done on your portion sizes and exercise. We are still failing miserably. We only manage about 3-4000 during the week I'm ashamed to say 🙄 although G does far more when he's at work at the weekend.
    Hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails