Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday, 25 July 2026

Thirsty

 The heat and sunshine has fried my veg section, these runner beans are so weak, they have started to climb the poles, I'm not expecting any harvest unless there is a huge change in the weather. 


My potatoes grown in bags have done well up to now, these last couple of bags look ropey, again I'm not expecting much.


My decision to grow cucumbers and tomatoes outside was a good one, we have had a few cucumbers, the plant is looking weak, the tomatoes are behind and not many fruits.


I do water and feed the fruit and veg gardens, this relentless heatwave is just killing off most things, even my fleabane daisies are looking a bit sad, my greenhouse is empty. I am using grey water from the house and being very careful with mains water use. My water buts are almost empty, I'm saving what small amount I have for plants which need rainwater.


We have asked a tree surgeon who we used before to pop in and hopefully remove loads of new growth from the Magnolia tree, and cut back the acer, we don't want to lose either.



My raspberries are growing, not as high as other years, we are picking blackberries, they are small and not very sweet, I have not had a second wave of strawberries. The grapevine is the only plant growing and enjoying the hot sunny days.

The last time we had rain was 10th June, the thunderstorms missed us in late June, the weather front due this weekend will fizzle out before it reaches the south coast, our fresh water supplier is Portsmouth Water, luckily for us, most of Hampshire is supplied by the terrible Southern Water (they remove our waste water) and are on a hosepipe ban. We again are due 30° plus temperatures in the coming week.

Normally I do enjoy watering the garden, it's nice to take time to check on plants, now when I do water I am watching the demise of so many plants, most should return next year. I am watching my collection of hellebores, they hate the heat, my hostas are all in the very shady spots. The main issues are how quickly the blooms are going over, the gladioli blooms just lasted a couple of days. It's  not a good year for the garden, I am deadheading the roses, they are still blooming.

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely been a challenging year for gardeners. Some of the sickly plants we came home to after our holiday have picked up, thank goodness, whereas it's still touch and go for others.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails