Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 1 May 2021

Under glass

Lots of my succulents have buds, most are in the greenhouse, the morning sun is always lovely here. It's always a joy to see these bloom. 
Two of my Amaryllis have leaves growing, no sign of a bud shoot, so I am just going to leave them here in the greenhouse on the floor.  
My pitcher plant is in flower again, this trio of carnivorous was cut back a couple of weeks ago, they are all growing back healthy. 
So many plants in the greenhouse, just becoming ready to plant out, but not yet, I will still wait a few more weeks, it's never worth the risk to put them out too soon. 

I purchased this book from Tesco on Monday, it's a big book 478 pages, I enjoyed the story, but not the best read of hers, book 17 read this year. 

At this time of year, it's all about waiting, I have plenty of plants ready for the garden, I have farmyard manure to spread around, firstly I am waiting until my bluebells finish flowering, I will lay all their leaves under the manure, I have done this before and it works well, I do try a no dig policy in the garden allowing the worms to drag the manure into the soil. The next stage is popping all the plants in the ground, but it's got cold again, we are not getting frost, but I do prefer it to be warmer before the plants go in. So I wait, there are a couple of pots still in the greenhouse with tender plants, when it gets a bit warmer, these can come out in the daytime. 

My French marigold seeds have started germination, tiny seedlings, my plan is for the trays to become full of plants, I will cut into strips and place in my long tubs, I also have chamomile lawn in a big round tray, which will sit in my big pot in the herb garden. In both cases they are sown onto the compost sized for their final containers and won't need thinning, not done it this way before, in theory it should work.

The greenhouse is my go to place, it's always warm in there, the recent dull days have not given me the rain we need, water butt's are still very low, all I can do is hope the rain will appear at sometime. 

How quick did April fly by, a third of this year gone already, most days are a nice pace for us, we keep busy enough for them not to drag on, the weeks go quickly as is this year, maybe it can sense we are willing better times to arrive. 

5 comments:

  1. We had some rain last night, heavier than I was expecting, but everywhere is so dry it won't have even touched the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the older we get the faster time fly's somehow. We are predicted showers for most of next week and only just above freezing night time temperatures. I wanted to put my fuchsias in the window box but like you will hold off a while longer. Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pitcher plant flower? WOW! I never stopped to think they flowered. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been lucky my pitcher plants has flowered for the last couple of years.

      Delete
  4. Like you, we're hanging on before we plant anything out in the garden or allotment. Can't wait for some warmer weather. Your plants all look very happy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails