Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 10 May 2021

I'm bored

I love the leaf colours of my jade plant, it lives and thrives in my greenhouse, don't you just love the pot it's in, it's a biscuit barrel, and reflects everything around it. 
These bedding plants are ready to go out, I am going to have to get them in the ground soon, some are ones I dug up last year and the others were plug plants I have grown on. . 
Blooms in the greenhouse, these will be placed around the garden in June. 
My pomegranate plant, grown from seed, it's a few years old, last year it was left outside in winter for the 1st time, I love the colours on the leaves, it's a really healthy plant. I have no idea on how this will grow, is it a big bush or will it grow into a tree, I'm just happy to watch and learn. 
I may have purchased another indoor plant, I have always loved maidenhead ferns, this is a nice size, and looks good on kitchen window sill, my herbs are now in the garden, I will use the pots in my greenhouse. I have got my plants online, Candide Gardening plants are always sent well wrapped and the plants have all been if fantastic condition, I'm not being paid to say this, just my own thoughts. 
The 3rd Amaryllis is also sprouting leaves, I am doing nothing to these bulbs, just waiting to see what happens, they are on the floor in the greenhouse, my cucumber behind is in it's growing pot. 
This is the straight view from our sitting room, 
I love it, it's our world, it makes me smile.

Our world has become very small, it's all about home life, the past year home has been our safe place, my post have become boring, we are doing nothing, so sewing and garden updates are all I have to talk about, with the odd photos of Will and George. We have popped to a few shops, but we have over the years got into the habit of not purchasing stuff we don't want or need, understanding our commercial world, where the shops/internet flash stuff at you, you need this, buy it now. 

We are both tidy people, so the house and garden is sorted to how we like it, after living here for 11 years, it's all to our taste. I am almost finished my big cross stitch, I have books to read, and a couple of small ripple blankets to make, but I am bored. Our world has shrunk far too small, we are starting to meet up with friends, later this month my brother will be here and then we will visit my family in Somerset, we have a short mid week break booked as well. We need summer to be here, so we can go further from our house, do different things, widen our outlook. Any task we find to do, we jump on it, enjoying the purpose of the task, something to do, we work well together, our skills between us ensure we can sort most things. We now need to get out and start enjoying the bigger world, I love our home, but it's not enough at this moment, hopefully Boris will release us more today, Monday can't come soon enough, I will still be very cautious, it's been a long, long winter in every way.

15 comments:

  1. I love maidenhair ferns but unfortunately killed mine. The kitchen window sill is probably a good place to keep it as it is easy to keep it moist and watered there. I too am looking forward to things opening up more. Travelling on the bus to work this last week has got me used to being around other people more. Social distancing seems to be becoming a thing of the past. I look forward to getting out of London at some point, but it looks like it might not be until late June or July for me, what with working on Saturdays and jury service coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did jury service a few years ago and found it interesting, but take a good book to read, I waited days before I was attached to a case, the waiting days are long and boring.

      Delete
  2. You have lovely plants Marlene, indoors and out. It'll be so good to get back to some kind of normality won't it....no matter how much we love our homes, we do need outside interests and social meetings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been really happy at home, but in the last few weeks I have been getting more and more restless.

      Delete
  3. I'm just looking forward to being able to see Daniel and Jasmine again, it's been a long long time, though Daniel hasn't had his first vaccine yet and they have to be very careful with Jasmine being high risk. We spoke to them yesterday on the phone, hopefully they'll be able to come and stay a little later in the year. It's very hard when you live away from loved ones, though keeping them safe is the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen my family or our Somerset grand sons for well over a year, we are so close to the freedom, the final few weeks are always the worse.

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks beautiful Marlene and aren't we lucky to have our own little green spaces in this past year but I know what you mean. I'm really longing to go on a few adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the past year at home has focus me into keeping the garden looking good, but remember ours is a small garden.

      Delete
  5. I bought a maidenhair fern a couple of months ago but it's not looking as healthy as yours. I put it in the bathroom but i keep forgetting it's there! Your garden looks lovely and tidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending where you purchase your plant from it's already loosing it's best, just bringing it home to a new environment will cause it stress, I try and do very little to it once home, give it time to get used to it's new home.

      Delete
  6. Your garden view is so attractive. I can understand why you love your home so much, but I also know what you mean about getting out and about. We need social contact and variety in our lives.
    Have a happy (unboring!) week :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. But your garden photos are always so good to look at, when I get the chance to pop by! I hear what you're saying though. The winter blues are hanging on, and a change would shake things up! We're at the tail end of autumn here, and just about to enter winter. Cooler weather for us, but warmer weather for you. I've been admiring your terracotta chiminea. We're about to install one here too. Gotta try using up all this wood we seem to accumulate every year! Make some charcoal for my garden beds, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a small garden which makes it much easier to keep tidy and looking good, I always wanted a much bigger garden, but fell in love with this house with a small garden. These days I am happier with a smaller space.

      Delete
  8. My grandmother's mother in the south had pomegranates in her yard. I believe they are large bushes unless you prune them. Pomegranate season is Fall here in the US and they are messy and fiddly but delicious.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails