Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 12 April 2021

Bottom line

My work as a whole photo, I've mainly stitched the left side, ensuring the top designs tumble into the lower ones, I feel it works for me. The whole design is clear in my mind, the only issue is if it fits as well as I think, I have room for change as so many of these designs tumble into each other.

I love these red squares from my cushion, I hope to have a line of  designs along the bottom, I'm not sure if I will sew all 10, I do also want some more lace falling to the bottom, one to be in front of the squares and another falling behind.

I have been counting, recounting and working where to place the next design, should the edges butt up nice to my existing work, or tuck behind, I am worried I could miss count and have silly gaps. The design is not a simple one, lots of fine lace panels and not easy to stitch from outside in, it's a case of which keeps me happy and not concerned as I am stitching. I'm off to count again.

Counted cross stitch is my love, these charts fill me with joy, even ones with so many tiny different shapes and colours, as the design forms I am always happy. 

I still have loads of designs to finish off, but I am focusing on ensuring the bottom and sides look good and not just where the stitching stops. 

Thank you for your kind comments I have received as I am stitching this, I am not sure if this will be my last fine work, my eyes are not as good as they were, I love the smaller work using just 1 strand, it sits smoothly, using 2 strands  can often lead to them twisting and the finished work not looking as smooth. You all know me by now, in everything I am a neat tidy freak, I like control, but also freedom when it comes to my craft. I always struggle with random, I'm not good at just adding anything, I have to know the whole design, each design on this work is thought about, shape and then colour, the balance has to be there, even any mad contrast is always thought about, it's who I am.  

With all the cold weather back, it has given me loads of stitching time, most afternoons and evenings I stitch, having such a huge design helps eat up so much time, stops me thinking about life and everything. This again is growing, I would like to bulk of it done in the next few weeks, once the warmer weather is here the garden will call and often win my time. I've again not read much, this project has taken over and is timed to perfection keeps me feeling calm and busy and not bored at all. 

I was home alone most of Sunday, listen to the radio, lots of reference to Prince Philip who passed away on Friday, our thoughts are with our Queen, anyone who has lost a partner will understand her loss, it also focus our minds on all those passed away in the last 12 months, far too many. 

10 comments:

  1. I find your stitching fascinating! All the stitches are so tiny and intricate. I know I have said it before but... it is really impressive. I used to do a lot of cross stitch and embroidery but like yourself due to failing eye sight I found it a strain. Mind you I do have new glasses now so I just may give it a go again :-) keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use stronger glasses just for sewing, have done for a few years, wearing them on the tip of my nose, so I can look over them and see everything else.

      Delete
  2. I love this, so unusual and lots of colour.
    Isn't it a bugger when eyes start to go? I sometimes wear 2 pairs of glasses, lol, to enable me to see the stitches. Good job Tom is used to me, he takes no notice what so ever when I speak to him with the 2 pairs on, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the effect you get stitching with one strand of thread but i struggle with the higher count fabric now. I always railroad my stitches when using 2 strands of thread, they always lie neat that way, I've seen some really dodgy stitching on IG where the stitches are twisted, it would not do for me. Railroading slows you down but the result is much more pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to stay at a fine stage for as long as I can, the bigger count to me looks bulky, I have some 20 cwt ready for when I need it.

      Delete
  4. This is going to be beautiful. Such lovely patterns and the stitching is very well done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that stitching piece is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you have something to do that helps you keep calm. I hope you can continue stitching for many years still to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a shame Philip didn't make it to his 100th birthday.
    My thoughts are with the Queen and her family, and all those who have lost loved ones.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails