Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 4 June 2021

Blooming summer

My first home grown sweet peas, I love these scented blooms, but have always had issues in my clay soil, last autumn I popped seeds into a deep pot, grew them over winter in my greenhouse and planted out healthy plants, needless to say I am really pleased. I don't normally cut flowers from the garden for inside, but these were always grown, knowing the blooms need to be cut for the plant to produce more. 
My Orchid purchase back in late January is still blooming lovely, I love the white Orchid blooms, this plant is lasting well, our sitting room is always cool in the summer, which these plants like. 
This bunch is just inside my patio doors, these are fake, I got the blue Alliums earlier this year to add to these, lovely summer colours. 
I love this jug on my kitchen window sill, and have 4 different seasonal displays, I love these sweet peas, the jug is cracked so I can't keep water in it, these are just so pretty. 
I have read loads of books by this author, some I have found great, others not so, this book started out well, but whilst the plot was good, it did not hold me, a couple of times I thought a new opening was forming, but sadly no, it went along the same route. book 24 read this year. 
I stopped purchasing fresh flowers a couple of years ago, I was shocked when I totalled up the money I was spending on flowers, I have more house plants, but they are mostly just green, and placed in our office, which is the sunniest room in the house. I do love my fake flowers, these days they are very real looking, and gives colour in corners. On our dining room table in a dark corner of the room, I keep a glass bowl with fake lemons, limes and oranges, they add colour, again saving me purchasing them regularly, I do always keep a lemon in our proper fruit bowl in the kitchen, we use them often. 

On a very different subject, we watched Call the midwife, the storyline with baby Robert, an older mum with 4 grown up girls having a baby for her younger sister, Robert has Downs Syndrome, the younger sister rejected him as he was not perfect, the mum (older sister) loved him because he was her baby, and dad was shocked, I love they already have Reggie in this show, I though the story line was very well done, there is alot of shock and love, not always in the right order. Lots of TV shows have run Downs Syndrome stories, Emmerdale being the one causing the most hurt, Line of Duty showed their vulnerability. Both hubby and I could relate to this episode, both knowing the mum's love for her baby, because every time we see George, all we see is George our beautiful grandson and younger brother of Will.

It's raining again here, grey skies, but still warm, so British summer is here, no plans for the weekend, I do have books to read and I should do more on my socks. I have sorted the fabric required for making my new bed cushions, just no inclination to get them made. 

5 comments:

  1. Keep cutting those sweet peas, they'll produce loads more for you. I used to love them on the allotment but they don't do as well in my garden so I don't grow them so often now. I don't think I've read this Liane Moriarty book but I agree, her books can be hit and miss. I actually stopped reading her after I read Nine Perfect Strangers, it was so bad that it put me off. I love Call the Midwife. I think they tackle some very difficult topics and they always handle them so well. Heidi Thomas is such a brilliant screenwriter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine Perfect Strangers was terrible to read, I struggled to get it read. Call the Midwife is lovely, so gentle, but I spend so much time holding my breath on each birth scene.

      Delete
  2. The sweet peas are lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sweet peas, Marlene. They are my most favourite flower but I struggle to grow them here. Last year, I tried growing them in a pot and did not get a single flower. Their scent is just gorgeous. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sweet peas are so lovely, beautiful colours together.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails