Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 6 January 2018

Small Ticks

Strange title, but this is what 2018 is going to be about
2017
I was on the whole happy with our achievements last year, alot of the changes we wanted are now normal life for us, we have jumped off the commercial merry-go-round, we still purchase what we want, these days we want alot less than before, we ignore all the masses of stuff pushed at us every time we shop or go on line. In fact we do not often go into town and a big supermarket shop does not happen that often. We saved money where we could, bulked purchased brands we love when they are on special, ensuring we hardly ever paid full price on, coffee, teabags, spread, muesli and cat food, plus loads others, even getting all the wild bird food off line in bulk. We do not have any budgets, just an underlying need to spend wisely. I will keep up my hobby stash spend list, I'm not looking for savings again this year. We have cut down on our waste, we hardly waste any food these days. 
I was pleased to see China has stopped taking our 'dirty' waste, it's time for us to sort our own waste, at home we recycle as much as we can, last year we decided to cut our waste, and one of the easy ways is not to bring it into our house, we already purchase loose fruit and veg, and not using those free little plastic bags, it's a bit harder at the till, but we have taken the easy route too often. NOW we need to get the producers to change how they pack things, a good example buy 4 pears, they are often on a tray in a plastic bag, both unnecessary packaging. We do not buy coffee when we are out often, and when we do it is always in a china cup. We only purchased fresh orange juice in a tetra pack in December, just 2 packs for our Christmas morning bucks fizz, we do not have a local recycling depot for these, so we don't purchase anything stored in them. I am growing all my plants from seed, if I do purchase any plants, I take the pots back to the garden center to be recycled.

2018 - small ticks, this is tackling big issues in small monthly bite sizes.
I have a few things to concentrate on this year, all about me, it's easy to work with hubby to sort our home life out, and lose focus on my personal goals. Hubby and I will stay on our lifestyle path, we are enjoying the benefits gained over the past couple of years. I aim to set myself a small task each month, which I can tick off once I am regularly following my plan. It is so easy to set big targets and then fail, knowing the challenge would be too much for everyone.  

Each year in early January I record my weight, each year I put on a couple of pounds, which I feel is good for a woman my age, last year, I put on 4 pounds, today I looked at my BMI, which is 29.5, far to high for me. I really need to lose some weight, which I say every year, I lose a bit of weight in the summer only to put it back on during the winter. I really do not want to go up a clothes size, I have so many lovely items in my wardrobe.  So this year I am going to look at it from a different angle, I need to get fitter. 

My January task is to get my steps up to 8,000 a day minimum, and aim for 10,000 steps. Plus to cycle a couple times a week. I have done these amounts of steps before, mainly in the summer. 
My household challenge is to spring clean the Kitchen, dining room and sitting room. 
So small steps, to which I am off for a walk with hubby. 

7 comments:

  1. That is similar to my plan of small steps making a new habit and running with it until it is automatic. Look forward to reading of your progress.
    I too am glad about China everyone needs to step up and deal with this not be in denial by shipping it off out of sight, out of mind.
    We are about to go out to get some shopping - first time this year so I am wondering what we wil find in the supermarket - lots of bargains I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post Marlene. I also do many of the things you describe - buying in bulk when an item is on offer and I know the shelf life will far exceed the time it takes to use it up. I’ve done this for years and get quite indignant if I have to buy coffee/mayo/peanbut butter etc at full pice!
    Last year I started using the “My Supermarket” website, not to make shopping lists but as a way to record ‘favourites’ and it is then fairly easy to see what is on offer at any of the major supermarkets who are accessible from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I started on the first of the WIPs-a curtain for the front inside glass door. Done and hung up. I also destashed upcycled fabric which will go in the textile recycler, and my resolution is to say no thanks when people offer me stuff as it’s often just fit for rags. DH’s quilt comes next, then my own. Last January I started Pilates and I love it-once a week at £7 per class and I am gaining so much from it. I am on a major declutter and determined to finally get out of the house everything I won’t need. This year will bring a major change fir us as we take delivery of our long awaited motorhome-it’s been a huge saving campaign and we are almost there. Hope you had a lovely walk in the fresh air. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. I am on my de-cluttering again, so charity shops here I come and only going shopping for essentials like milk, fresh fruit and veg, otherwise it is out of the freezer.

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We recycle everything possible, Wales has one of the best systems in the UK according to a program on the TV. I have always bought as much of my shopping on special offer prices as I am able. Each little tick is a step nearer to the goal and it doesn't take many repeats to form a new habit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all the small things which add up to much bigger things so I think tackling all areas where you want to make a change in bite size chunks is definitely the way to go. It makes it easier to stay on track too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your plans for the new year.
    We recycle so much in our home and always buy when essentials are a bargain price.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails